Google Analytics can be instrumental for measuring all aspects of your online business. Its fantastic reports provide concrete figures, like the number of new visitors to your website last week or how much revenue your e-commerce site generated last month. There are times, however, when you may want to export Google Analytics reports to manipulate the material on your own or copy it into presentations. In other instances, you may want to email analytics reports and schedule recurring report emails for key stakeholders or clients. We’ll show you how!
Pull up your favorite report in Google Analytics. You will notice in the main navigation bar, underneath the name of the report, two buttons to Email or Export. Both of these buttons let you share your analytics data.
Google Analytics reports can be exported into a variety of formats to suit your needs, but the most common formats are comma-separated values (CSV), which will allow you to manipulate your data in excel, or a PDF, which you could provide to a client or key stakeholders.
Analytics exports the report as it is currently displayed on your screen, so make sure all your settings are as you want them. Check that the date range is the one you are looking for. The default report will show you 10 rows of data, but don’t forget that it’s a drop down that can be changed to show you up to 5,000 rows of data!
Exporting your data:
- Open the report you’d like to export.
- Click Export, above the report title.
- Select the format you want your report results in (CSV, TSV, PDF, etc.).
- You will see a notification in your download directory. Your file is automatically generated and ready for you.
Instead of just exporting the analytics data, you may want to email the report directly to a team member or your boss. Taking this a step farther, you may want to regularly email the report to that team member, boss, or even to yourself, as a continuous reminder. This is called scheduling a report and is a quick and easy way to keep your analytics data in front of you on a regular basis. Emailing a single report or scheduling a report to be sent regularly can be easily set up.
To email a report or schedule a report:
- Open the report you’d like to email or schedule. Make sure that all your settings are set to your liking.
- Click Email above the report title. You will see a pane similar to the graphic, right.
- The email address you used as your login is listed in the From field.
- In the To field, enter a comma-separated list of email addresses.
- Enter a subject-line that provides context to the report. Our subject line is All Traffic.
- Select the attachment format and frequency (in our example, we chose Monday).
- Click ADVANCED OPTIONS to select how long you want this Analytics report to be recurring. In our example, we scheduled our All Traffic report to be sent for the next three months.
- Use the text field to enter the body of your email.
- Click Send.
Google Analytics offer us countless insight into our business and lets us measure whether our efforts (be it our sales numbers or search engine optimization success) are working and are worth the investment. If you are a data junky eager to manipulate the results on your own, export your Google Analytics report away from the constraints of the tool and start digging through your data. If you would prefer to review the same reports on a recurring basis or share those reports with others, the email and schedule reports buttons will save you time and help coordinate your efforts.