The impact of COVID-19 is bringing rapid change to the retail landscape. On the latest episode of Confessions of a Marketer, Whereoware CEO, Michael Mathias, joins creator and host Mark Reed-Edwards to examine the times we find ourselves in and the shifting world of retail.
Tune in to the podcast episode, Retail in the Time of Corona, as they dive into the latest headlines, discuss how retailers can pivot their marketing strategy, and weigh in on what the post-pandemic world will look like.
Mathias shares his thoughts on how retailers can survive and thrive today, and ensure future success.
“I think that the need for connection is so important and I see that as a critical pillar …For the smaller brick-and-mortar stores to survive, and even the mid-sized, it’s got to be based upon that trust that I’m going to be here for you.”
He goes on to offer his advice for how retailers can respond thoughtfully, continue to resonate with their customers, and rebound after the crisis ends.
His recommendations for retaining and gaining customers include:
- Stay attuned to the shifts in consumer behavior and how you can meet evolving needs
- Develop a forward-thinking customer acquisition strategy
- Focus on building human connection and prioritize customer centricity
- Be thoughtful and genuine by providing transparent, reliable, and authentic messaging that informs
- Avoid being tone-deaf by sending the wrong message, at the wrong time
- Keep customers engaged with value-adding promotions and regularly share business updates